Sunday 9 October 2011

Its great up t'north

I have been sooooo busy that I haven't had time to write. I have been back in the North for the last two weeks on and off  re- validating my Newborn life support instructor status and teaching on the generic instructor course. Its been fab!

Since living in Jersey I have started to miss the things I didn't really seem bothered about whilst living back in the North. Those things being, Sainsbury's, Asda, Tesco. Here in Jersey we have the co-op and waitrose. I like waitrose as its a bit like Sainsburys but ruddy expensive. So imagine my delight when I got a field trip to Asda. One word, hideous! living on an island that is only 9ft by 12 generally means things are more compact. I think Asda could lead to trolley rage and a massacre in the fruit and vegetable aisle. Its soooooooooooo big and busy. I realised I didn't miss it at all or I should of gone to Sainsburys.

Blackpool turned out to be the same way. generally whilst living in the north I never really frequented Blackpool too much but I did always love the illuminations. Driving through with the top down in the car then finishing in Bispham with  bag of chips I quite enjoyed. So my sister and I set out on a Thelma and Louise trip. We used to do these trips often but the theme of them was that they were generally late at night. Consequently arriving in Blackpool post 11 pm they were flamin switched off. Can you imagine my disappointment readers?  Blackpool with no illuminations is generally a bit ghastly, ( apologies if you live there but you have to agree the front is a bit hmmnn dreary in winter).
You have to admit though when switched on they are quite lovely.

Not one to be foiled we decided to go look at the piers as they were still switched on and make video diaries. My sister is quite good at doing this and I am awaiting the finished product for my blog. We got strange looks as we had conversations with plastic casted clowns and cried laughing at the gift shop with nothing but Eddie Stobart paraphernalia in. Its a recession I can't imagine he has much of a turnover. Having said that his line of gonks might bring the mortgage money in. I am glad I took my Thelma and Louise trip to Blackpool just for the simple reason  I got to laugh a lot with my little sister. Watching her trying to get in a weird booth whilst reciting lines for the lion, the witch and the wardrobe was quite endearing. She was obsessed with C. S Lewis's beautiful book as a child and watching her was like seeing her when she was 9 again. She doesn't apply the same lovely principles to Blackpool food and insists that you haven't been to Blackpool till you have had the doughnuts. Arggghhh they are a passport to a cholestectomy. They are quite minging and I always worry about the possible E coli one might also get from the less than clean kiosk. So buscopan at the ready we indulged. All I can say my gall stones rattled and the nausea set in. Thank god I only ate one.

Teaching back in my old centre generally always makes me cry when I leave. I miss it terribly. However I was quite composed and didn't cry once. I suddenly realised that an hour 's plane trip can get me back to where I came from without any hassle. I have always subscribed to the view never leave a place you can never return. I feel like there is more than that for me, its like I never left when I return to teach. Catching up is a hoot and I learn more about my fellow instructors I never had time to find out. Like the fact I will be returning to the north in February to see my fellow GIC instructors debut of the play  he wrote. I can't wait. Please see the link below for an over view. I am so excited for him. Oooh you could take your valentine dates. Oooh I could do a review like a proper writer.

http://www.thewonderwall.com/tickets/event/2012-02-15-The-Best-Little-Nightclub-In-Chorley-at-Leyland-Runshaw-College.html

So Asda, Blackpool and playwright pals, a very busy return to the north schedule. However my favourite part of returning is only about 2 foot high and when last spotted looked like an alien. My friend's daughter who I affectionately call Honey Bee is my little jewel in Preston. Watching her snuggled in her Cinderella frock whilst listening to me reading bedtime stories was just the best moment. I always worry that she will grow up and forget me but apparently not as she still chatters to me. Blowing a kiss  and saying see you soon was heart melting. I thought I wouldn't see her on my last return as I was so busy, but her mummy surprised me at my hotel with her face painted as an alien. I made the faux pas of calling her a frog, she promptly corrected me! At the age of 3 1/2 she has a very independent personality but putting her little hand in mine gave me a lump in my throat.

Having my little fix of Honey Bee always makes returning back to the north worthwhile and it will be a while before I go back but when I do I can't wait. Maybe it will be February, on a valentines date to the best little night club in chorley.

No comments:

Post a Comment