Saturday 24 December 2011

It was the night before Christmas

Well its nearly here readers, Christmas day. All that preparation, wrapping, shopping and tearing your hair out will be worth it. I know that to be true because my last weekend proved it.

As an early Christmas present my beau paid for me to return to Manchester for a girlie shopping and dining experience. However getting there was very much like a scene from Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Me: What's the flight situation?
Man: Simple. There's no way on earth we're going to get out of here tonight. We'd have more luck playing pickup sticks with our butt-cheeks than we will getting a flight out of here before daybreak. 
Me: I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Man: Yeah, but by the time the airline cancels this flight, which they will sooner or later, you'd have more of a chance to find a three-legged ballerina than you would a hotel room.
Me: Are you saying I could be *stuck* in Jersey?
Man: I'm saying you *are* stuck in Jersey 
OK,OK that's Neal and Del in Wichita, but you get my point? Manchester airport closed due to snow and I was stuck in Jersey. I was determined to get there, Manchester Christmas markets, dinner at Room and staying at The Midland and of course seeing my pals was not to be missed.
I was offered to share a charter with some random chap, I politely declined as it felt too Pretty Woman  ( I kid you not) and to share a car with two delightful ladies from Gatwick. However lugging my suitcase affectionately nicknamed the "beast" from a chap on the train I set out on my adventure.
One flight to Gatwick
One train to Victoria
One tube to Euston
One train to Manchester
One cab to hotel
Several hours later I was raiding the mini bar.It was thoroughly enjoyable weekend with shopping in Selfridges and eating at Room. If you have never eaten there think Willie Wonka meets Heston Blumenthal ; hang on is that not the same person?
Well I am safely back and just roasted my Christmas Eve Ham. Christmas day will be a quiet affair with my beau and I will think of those I miss. In particular my little sister and my nephew. Boxing day will be very different this year for me as I will be spending it with my beau's children. A whole five days. Its quite a scary thought and sooooo grown up but children are what makes Christmas. Anyway I have bought a pinata to string from the skylight to knock hell out of if it all becomes too stressful. I fib its actually for the children , as Christmas is about fun. I think they may be a bit young to be forced to play trivial pursuits.
Well that's me folks and what a year. Its been a tumultuous year but I think things may be getting better. If I haven't seen you recently the new year will bring many visits and of course you are always welcome here. In fact I insist you visit. 
I am leaving you with this clip that always makes me feel joyful and I wish that you have a lovely day tomorrow. If there is someone you miss I am sure you are in their hearts. For those that are working I am sending you hope that it won't be too bad. I can't say the "Q" word as that will jinx you.
Happy Christmas readers and all the best for 2012.

1 comment: